SPEEDWAY PRESIDENT GOSSAGE PLAYS NOSTRADAMUS WITH 2019 DAYTONA AND SEASON PICKS
FORT WORTH, Texas (February 13, 2019)
When it comes to the business of predictions, Texas Motor Speedway President Eddie Gossage isn’t one to withhold his, and just days before the season-opening Daytona 500 Guru Gossage offered his insight into which Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series driver will come out on top at Daytona, as 2019 Rookie of the Year, and 2019 Series Champion.
- Daytona 500 Winner: Chase Elliott, driver of the No. 9 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet
- Gossage's take: "After the kind of year Chevrolet had last year, Hendrick Motorsports I think have been working nose to the grindstone all offseason. They are the four fastest qualifiers; the Hendrick cars are at Daytona. I think at the end of the day you’ll see Chase Elliott in Victory Lane winning his first ever Daytona 500.”
- Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Rookie of the Year: Daniel Hemric, driver of the No. 8 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet
- Gossage's take: "When you look at Daniel Hemric driving for Richard Childress Racing, he’s got the best equipment to start the season out with. I think he’s the guy to beat for the Rookie of the Year championship this year. All of them have proven themselves on the racetrack. Daniel Hemric, the young guy, I think he’s going to be the one to win Rookie of the Year this year.”
- Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Champion: Chase Elliott, driver of the No. 9 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet
- Gossage's take: "I think you’re going to see Chase Elliott win the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series championship, his first ever, and that’s going to be a big hit, very, very popular with the fans. He’s the most popular driver in the sport. If you look, the first of last season he was slowly gaining steam, gaining steam, and the last part he won three races. Chase Elliott is a guy that has learned and learned and learned the craft. Now he’s ready to cash in and be our NASCAR champion for 2019.”
A video package of Gossage's full comments of his selections is available by clicking here: https://youtu.be/Wi8LrDKzWJA.
Sunday's Daytona 500 will be broadcast live on FOX beginning at 1:30 p.m. CT.
Fans in North Texas can enjoy the race on the world's largest TV, as Texas Motor Speedway will play host to the World's Largest Daytona 500 Watching Party this weekend. The event is free to the public - ranging from tailgaters to those interested in camping overnight in their RVs - and will be held Saturday and Sunday in the speedway infield for NASCAR's season-opening Xfinity Series and Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races.