The Texas Motor Speedway Media Relations Department is located on the 6th floor of The Speedway Club outside of Turn 1 of the speedway.
UNIVERSAL TECHNICAL INSTITUTE FRIDAY NIGHT DRAGS SHATTERS OPENING NIGHT CAR COUNT RECORD
FORT WORTH, Texas —
A fixture in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex for the last decade, the Universal Technical Institute Friday Night Drags began its 10th anniversary season at Texas Motor Speedway with a record-breaking car count.
The 366 entries was a 28 percent increase on last year’s previous opening night record of 262 racers.
Offering car enthusiasts an opportunity to race down a transformed 1/8-mile drag strip on pit road at Texas Motor Speedway, the six-week competition features weekly races racers compete for trophies and points, which are tallied at the conclusion of the final weekend to ultimately crown the season champion.
Week 1 Division Winners:
- Reunion Tower GeO-Deck Bandit Division
- Chance Brackeen, Saginaw, Texas, 2015 Ford Mustang
- Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Division
- Mirza Kovacevic, Arlington, Texas, 2009 BMW 355i
- Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Modified Division
- Chris Thompson, Richland Hills, Texas, 1932 Ford Coupe
- Snap-on Tools All Wheel Drive Division
- Anthony Handley, Joshua, Texas, 2015 Volkswagen Golf R
- Texas Harley-Davidson Super Car Division
- Stephen Kamp, Keller, Texas, 2017 Chevrolet Corvette
- Texas Born Performance Black Smoke Warrior Division
- Joe Watson, Fort Worth, Texas, Chevrolet C10
- Summit Racing Equipment Outlaw Division
- Trent Savage, Burleson, Texas, 2001 Pontiac Firebird
The second week of Universal Technical Institute Friday Night Drags is Fireworks Night and will feature the “Earliest Fireworks Show in the Metroplex.” Presented by Snap-on Tools, the fireworks show will begin at approximately 10 p.m. Admission is free for military and first responders. Those presenting a valid ID at the Gate 6 box office will receive free admission.
The cost is $20 to participate in the Universal Technical Institute Friday Night Drags or Hills Air Support Show-N-Shine competition each week. For those who would like to watch the action, general admission grandstand tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under. Tickets are available for advance purchase at www.texasmotorspeedway.com or at the Gate 6 ticket booth. Parking is free in the PSL lot outside of Gate 6 and available for $20 in the infield (with admission included in the pricing). Coolers are permitted in both the grandstands and infield.
Each week the infield, grandstands and Show-N-Shine registration open at 6 p.m. CT with drags practice from 6:15-8 p.m. Drag racing competition in the various classes begins at 9:15 p.m.
For more information and official rules regarding the Universal Technical Institute Friday Night Drags, visit http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com.