The Texas Motor Speedway Media Relations Department is located on the 6th floor of The Speedway Club outside of Turn 1 of the speedway.
THREE CHAMPIONS TO BE DETERMINED IN FINAL WEEK OF UTI FRIDAY NIGHT DRAGS
FORT WORTH, Texas (July 23, 2018)
Five weeks in the books. One to go.
Universal Technical Institute Friday Night Drags will crown seven champions this week, as the six-week summer drag racing series culminates on July 27. Four racers have already locked up overall championships in their respective divisions, but there are still three divisions that will need to be decided on the final night.
The Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman, Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Modified and Texas Harley-Davidson Super Car divisions are all still up for grabs, with as many as nine drivers still in the hunt.
And while Chance Brackeen (Reunion Tower GeO-Deck Bandit Division), Collin Keithly (Snap-on Tools All Wheel Drive Division), Joe Watson (Texas Born Performance Black Smoke Warrior Division) and Shea Thompson (Summit Racing Equipment Outlaw Division) have all locked up the overall championship, there’s still plenty to race for with weekly titles on the line and even a shot at knocking off an unbeaten.
“I wasn’t expecting it to be like this, man. I thought I’d have more competition,” said Brackeen, who competes in the Bandit Division. “It’d be pretty awesome (to go undefeated), to tell you the truth, because I’ve never seen anybody win every week. I hope I win, but I’m trying to give them more competition.
“What I hope for in the final week is for a nose-to-nose race at the finish.”
Here’s a look at the winners from Week 5 (July 20):
- Summit Racing Equipment Outlaw Division
- Shea Thompson, Fort Worth, 1988 Ford Mustang
- Texas Born Performance Black Smoke Warrior Division
- Joe Watson, Fort Worth, Chevrolet C10
- Snap-on Tools All Wheel Drive Division
- Andre Van Der Westairen, Grapevine, 1989 Nissan GTR
- Texas Harley-Davidson Super Car Division
- Wes Coleman, Arlington, 2013 Cadillac STS
- Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Modified Division
- Chris Thompson, Richland Hills, 1932 Ford Coupe
- Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Division
- Mirza Kovacevic, Arlington, 2009 BMW 335i
- Reunion Tower GeO-Deck Bandit Division
- Chance Brackeen, Saginaw, 2015 Ford Mustang
Week 5 Hills Air Support Show-N-Shine Winners:
- Best Motorcycle
- Best Current (1973 or newer)
- Chris Graves, 2015 Chevrolet Corvette
- Best Classic (1972 or older)
- Cameron Collis, 1970 Chevrolet Malibu
- Best In Show
- Greg Jennings, 1969 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Offering car enthusiasts an opportunity to race down a transformed 1/8-mile drag strip on pit road at Texas Motor Speedway, the six-week UTI Friday Night Drags competition features weekly races as racers compete for trophies and points, which are tallied at the conclusion of the final weekend to ultimately crown the season champion.
Week 6 of the six-week summer series is Fan Appreciation Night. Texas Motor Speedway will be pouring $1 draughts from 6-9 p.m. for anyone 21 and older with a proper photo ID.
The cost to participate in Universal Technical Institute Friday Night Drags or Hills Air Support Show-N-Shine competition is $20. For those who would like to watch the action, general admission grandstand tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under.
Tickets are available for advance purchase at www.texasmotorspeedway.com or at the Gate 6 ticket booth. Parking is free in the PSL lot outside of Gate 6 and available for $20 in the infield (with admission included in the pricing). Coolers are permitted in both the grandstands and infield.
Each week the infield, grandstands and Show-N-Shine registration open at 6 p.m. CT with drags practice from 6:15-8 p.m. Drag racing competition in the various classes begins at 9:15 p.m.
For more information and official rules regarding the Universal Technical Institute Friday Night Drags, visit http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com.