STANDINGS BEGIN TO TAKE SHAPE IN UTI FRIDAY NIGHT DRAGS
FORT WORTH, Texas (July 9, 2018) –
The Universal Technical Institute Friday Night Drags hit the halfway point of its six-week summer season this past week.
And as two divisions saw its leaders further expand their overall leads, the other five divisions are all still very much up for grabs with three Fridays left on the docket.
Brief yet hard rains swept through the Dallas-Fort Worth area late Friday afternoon, but more than 225 vehicles weren’t going to let Mother Nature spoil the evening. Three racers – Matt Pesqueda (Springtown), John Kuethe (Arlington) and previous overall champion Adam Gerety (Trophy Club) – picked up their first wins of the season, while John Apple (Euless) and Shea Thompson (Fort Worth) won for the second consecutive week.
Chance Brackeen (Saginaw) and Joe Watson (Fort Worth) took care of all contenders in the Reunion Tower GeO-Deck Bandit and Texas Born Performance Black Smoke Warrior divisions, respectively, for their third wins in as many weeks.
Week 3 Division Winners:
- Reunion Tower GeO-Deck Bandit Division
- Chance Brackeen, Saginaw, 2015 Ford Mustang
- Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Division
- Matt Pesqueda, Springtown, BMW 135i
- Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Modified Division
- John Apple, Euless, 1966 Chevrolet Nova
- Snap-on Tools All Wheel Drive Division
- John Kuethe, Arlington, Nissan GTR
- Texas Harley-Davidson Super Car Division
- Adam Gerety, Trophy Club, Chevrolet Camaro SS-RS 1LE
- Texas Born Performance Black Smoke Warrior Division
- Joe Watson, Fort Worth, Chevrolet C10
- Summit Racing Equipment Outlaw Division
- Shea Thompson, Fort Worth, 1988 Ford Mustang
Winners of Hills Air Support Show-N-Shine included:
- Best Motorcycle
- Mike Musgrove
- Best Current (1973 or newer)
- Ian Deguzman, North Richland Hills, 1990 LX 331 Stroker
- Best Classic (1972 or older)
- Shawn Sharp, Fort Worth, 1952 Ford F-1
- Best In Show
- Jeff Peterson, Fort Worth, 1986 Mustang Foxbody
Offering car enthusiasts an opportunity to race down a transformed 1/8-mile drag strip on pit road at Texas Motor Speedway, the six-week UTI Friday Night Drags competition features weekly races racers compete for trophies and points, which are tallied at the conclusion of the final weekend to ultimately crown the season champion.
Week 4 of the six-week summer series is Jeep Night. Anyone bringing a Jeep is asked to check in at the Texas Motor Speedway Dirt Track (behind Big Hoss) to register/pay.
The cost to participate in Universal Technical Institute Friday Night Drags or Hills Air Support Show-N-Shine competition is $20. For those who would like to watch the action, general admission grandstand tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under.
Tickets are available for advance purchase at www.texasmotorspeedway.com or at the Gate 6 ticket booth. Parking is free in the PSL lot outside of Gate 6 and available for $20 in the infield (with admission included in the pricing). Coolers are permitted in both the grandstands and infield
Each week the infield, grandstands and Show-N-Shine registration open at 6 p.m. CT with drags practice from 6:15-8 p.m. Drag racing competition in the various classes begins at 9:15 p.m.
For more information and official rules regarding the Universal Technical Institute Friday Night Drags, visit http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com.