The Texas Motor Speedway Media Relations Department is located on the 6th floor of The Speedway Club outside of Turn 1 of the speedway.
THOMPSON CONTINUES REIGN WHILE NEW WINNERS PROVE TO BE A TREND DURING WEEK 4 OF FRIDAY NIGHT DRAGS
FORT WORTH, Texas (July 17, 2017) – Texas Motor Speedway’s Friday Night Drags growing popularity has resulted in a competitive field of drivers that saw just one repeat winner from last week’s event.
Fort Worth’s Shea Thompson successfully defended his title as champion in the Summit Racing Equipment Street Outlaw Division. Thompson was the only repeat winner of the seven division winners in last Friday’s Friday Night Drags. The winner’s from Week 4 and current points leaders of the respective divisions are:
- Reunion Tower Geo Deck Bandit Division: Roger Cox (Newark) / 1962 Volkswagen Beetle; Points Leader: Austin Prince (Joshua) / 2014 Nissan 370Z.
- Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Division: Patrick Wyse (Lewisville) / 2016 Dodge Challenger; Points Leader: Phillip Madden (Bedford) / 1987 Buick Regal.
- Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Modified Division: Colin Hundley (Lewisville) / 1993 Nissan S13; Points Leader: Chris Thompson (Richland Hills) / 1932 Ford Coupe.
- Snap-On Tools All Wheel Drive Division: Jason Lucas (Fort Worth) / 2012 Nissan GT-R; Points Leader: Glenn Twardowsky (Euless) / 1991 Eagle Talon.
- Texas Lottery Super Cars Division: Adam Gerety (Trophy Club) / 2010 Chevrolet Camaro; Points Leader (tie): Adam Gerety (Trophy Club) / 2010 Chevrolet Camaro; Gene Griffith (Fort Worth) / 2015 Chevrolet Z06.
- 4 Wheel Parts Black Smoke Warrior Division: Clay Stewart (Weatherford) / 2008 Ford F250; Points Leader: Joe Watson (Fort Worth) / 1983 Chevrolet C10.
- Summit Racing Equipment Street Outlaw Division: Shea Thompson (Fort Worth) / 1988 Ford Mustang; Points Leader: Shea Thompson (Fort Worth) / 1988 Ford Mustang.
Each week, competitors race for trophies and points, which are tallied at the conclusion of the final weekend to crown the season champions. Competitors do not have to sign up to compete in the entire series, offering anyone on any given Friday night through July 28 the opportunity to show up and race.
Week 4 of Friday Night Drags included over 400 Jeeps from clubs across North Texas. The Jeeps took part in the Hills Air Support Show-N-Shine where they displayed their vehicles and took a lap around Texas Motor Speedway. Winners of Hills Air Support Show-N-Shine included:
- Best Motorcycle: William Valis (Plano) / 2015 Indian Scout
- Best Current (1973 or newer): Will Lee (Forney) / 2015 Dodge Challenger
- Best Classic (1972 or older): Danny Barboza (Hickory Creek) / 1961 Chevrolet Corvette
- Best In Show: Dennis Sammon (Grand Prairie) / 1932 Ford Tub
Competitors near the homestretch of the 2017 Friday Night Drags season with Week 5 of the six-week summer series this Friday. Fans attending this week will get an added bonus as Texas Motor Speedway will show the Disney/Pixar movie Inside Out on Big Hoss – the world’s largest HDTV – beginning at 7 p.m. CT. The movie, starring the voices of Amy Poehler, Bill Hader, Lewis Black, Mindy Kaling and Phyllis Smith, is free with admission into Friday Night Drags.
The gates open each week at 6 p.m. with inspection, practice and Hills Air Support Show-N-Shine vehicle display beginning at 6:15 p.m. Drag racing competition gets underway at 9:15 p.m.
The cost is $20 to participate in drag racing or the Hills Air Support Show-N-Shine competition each week.
General admission grandstand tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under and are available at the Gate 6 box office or online at www.texasmotorspeedway.com. Parking is free in the PSL lot outside Gate 6 and available for $20 in the infield (with admission included in pricing). Coolers are permitted in both the grandstands and infield.
For more information and official rules of Friday Night Drags, visit www.texasmotorspeedway.com.