We’re at summer’s halfway mark which means we’re a little more than two months away from the return of the world’s fastest motorsport series at TMS. The seventh stop of the Red Bull Air Race World Championship flies into town the weekend of September 26-27 and tickets are still available starting at just $29.
Weren’t able to make it last year? Even if you did, let us give you 10 reasons to stop by again this year.
1. SPEED- Witness the world’s best race pilots as they navigate a low-level aerial track made up of air-filled pylons 80 feet high at speeds of up to 230 mph.
2. MEET THE PILOTS- Get an up close look at the pilots, planes and crews to see all the work that goes on during race day. Tickets with hangar viewing from the lawn start at $39 for the day, $59 for the weekend.
3. FEEL WHAT IT’S LIKE TO FLY- Experience Red Bull Air Race from inside the cockpit with an Oculus Rift virtual reality headset. Kiosks will be set up in the consumer activation area outside of TMS on Saturday and Sunday.
4. SEE A HELICOPTER FLY UPSIDE DOWN- We’re not sure how he does it, but stunt helicopter pilot Chuck Aaron will be on hand to put on a gravity defying exhibition full of backflips, 360-degree rolls, and a heart stopping tumble called the “Chuckcilvak”.
5. ROOT FOR KIBRY- Kirby Chambliss will be looking for Texas-sized support as the Corpus Christi native tries to top the podium in his home state.
6. KIDS 12 AND UNDER GET IN FREE- Red Bull Air Race is officially a family affair with children 12 and under able to enter for free (max two children per adult).
7. GET CLASSY- Watch the race from the Sky Lounge, an elite hospitality area offering the finest possible race experience including premium grandstand seating, international cuisine, complimentary bar, as well as high-quality video screens and sound system so you don’t miss any of the action.
8. PHOTO FINISH- Right now only five points separate the top three pilots in the season standings. The Fort Worth stop will go a long way in determining who will be crowned champion at the final race of the championship in Las Vegas.
9. THE PLANES, THE PLANES! - It’s not every day you get to see Zivko Edge 540s, MXS-Rs and Corvus Racer 540s up close and personal, a real treat for aviation nuts and gearheads alike.
10. PYLON POPPING ACTION - There’s nothing quite like seeing the wing of a plane slice through the Red Bull Air Race specially designed inflatable pylons at rapid speeds.
In Start and Park Episode 21, things took a Dr. Suess like turn when discussing Danica's run at New Hampshire Motor Speedway... We'd like to thank the writers of Start and Park for this gem.
I do not like the set-up for this race. I do not like twenty-second place.
I do not like it here or there. I'm in the back and that's just not fair!
Would you like it in the Glen?
Would you like it at Michigan?
I would not like it in the Glen.
I do not want it in Mich-i-gan.
I do not like it worth a d*mn.
I do not like it DAN-I-AM.
I do not like this car of mine. Especially with Dale right behind.
And I do not like the pre-race singer. I'm not afraid to flip the finger.
Could you, would you, add some wedge? My driving skills are at the edge.
I do not like the aero here. I wish I weren't in the rear.
My engine keeps on running hotter. Can I blow up and blame the spotter?
My engine is about to croak. But yet, I'm still ahead of Smoke.
No, I will not like this car today. And I will b*tch about it till you go gray.
No, I do not like it Dan the man. I wish I had Ray Ever-Ham.
Greatness, right? Be sure to catch the latest episodes of Start & Park on the official Texas Motor Speedway APP!
To get back on the DIRT! The Portacool U.S. National Dirt Track Championship is coming up Friday, September 11 and Saturday, September 12 and this year we've added Factory Stocks to the lineup! You don't want to miss any of the dirt-slingin' action when the ASCS Sprint Cars, Limited Modifieds and Factory Stocks take the green this September. But until then... let's take a moment to relive the Portacool Texas World Dirt Track from last May.